Listen To This Content
To help manage your busy schedule, you can listen to today’s content. Just click on the player above. We’re also published on popular podcast apps, so you can sign up to receive our weekly episodes. Now let’s explore content about Sacrifice.
1. Brief Daily Focus – Sacrifice
What does Sacrifice mean to you going into Easter week? Since we don’t practice sacrifices these days, why is it important to linger and ponder? Let’s start in the beginning.
When Adam and Eve sinned, that action cut them apart from God. Their disobedience stemmed from not trusting God’s character and intentions. Tragically, intimate relationship was permanently shattered. Yet, God so loved His children, He sacrificed an animal to cover their sins, bodies, and lives. Sadly, the first sacrifice was made. Then, sacrifices continued for centuries. Consequently, many animals were sacrificed as stand-ins for people’s sins.
This temporary system was not God’s desire or original design. Plus, it was not sufficient by itself. So, He became human – to be the once-for-all Sacrifice. No more animal sacrifices.
Our Sacrifice was called “The Word” before God packed Himself in a baby’s body – and was given a new name – “Jesus.” Through this, God proved His love for you – literally altering His person.
Then Jesus – the Sacrifice – engaged in an incredible life purpose:
- Showing God’s glory and grace.
- Modeling God’s love.
- Teaching God’s ways.
- Healing broken bodies, minds, and hearts.
- Providing a model – how to live connected to God.
- Suffering condemnation of death – the punishment for sin.
- Rising from the dead three days after being executed.
In all these ways, Jesus became the Sacrifice for all sin . . . all people . . . all centuries . . . for you! Because God loves you deeply, He could not bear eternity without you. So, instead, He bore the consequences that would keep you away. With passion, strength, and great cost, our Sacrifice established a path for you to become the person He created.
What would you do without this provision? Have you responded to this amazing Sacrifice?
- “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . . The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (Jn. 1:1 & 14)
- ” . . . you are to give Him the name, Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.” (Mt. 1:21)
- “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (Jn. 1:29)
- “He was oppressed and afflicted, yet He did not open His mouth; He was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so He did not open His mouth.” (Is. 53:7; Acts 8:32)
2. Fun Activity
To celebrate the joy made possible by Sacrifice, decorate your home and/or your room for Easter. Find something meaningful that captures the message of Easter. Since simple displays often remind of special messages, focus on Jesus death and resurrection, new life, and spring.
- Large spike or nail hung from a ribbon.
- Display a special picture of the resurrection or another Easter scene.
- Simple cross with a linen cloth attractively hung over it.
- Fuzzy stuffed bunnies / soft chicks – symbolizing new life.
- Spring planter with sprouting flowers.
- Candy dish – jelly beans, chocolates.
- Easter window-cling pictures.
- Plastic egg ornaments of many colors, hung here and there.
- Your own ideas.
3. Teaching Point
People decorate to celebrate something special. Because Easter is so meaningful, Jesus followers celebrate! What is so special?
- Jesus died for our sins, rose from the dead, and conquered all our eternal enemies.
- He also gives hope and practical help every single day. THAT is worth celebrating!
- Ponder the following questions and journal your thoughts. Or you can share them with a friend and interact:
- Have you accepted Jesus, your Sacrifice, as your covering?
- Do you come close to Jesus each day? (Jas. 4:8)
- Have you sacrificed your agenda to live safely inside God’s Sacrifice?
- Are you staying under the covering of His Sacrifice in all your daily situations?
Ask God to make “Sacrifice” very real to you this week.
In case you missed our Easter Post, read/listen to We Have Jesus!
Visit our website for devotional materials, articles, podcasts, and resources to help grow your faith in God.
In order to receive weekly encouragement in your inbox, Sign up on our email list.