Listen To This Content
To help manage your busy schedule, you can listen to today’s content. Just click on the player above. We’re also published on popular podcast apps, so you can sign up to receive our weekly episodes. Now let’s explore content about High Priest.
1. Brief Daily Focus – High Priest
After God established the Old Testament priesthood, Aaron was chosen as the first High Priest. Because priests were chosen to perform sacrifices to cover people’s sins, they served God on behalf of Israel.
Incidentally, the High Priest had the sober responsibility of entering the Most Holy Place once a year to make a special sacrifice to God. Priests made extreme preparation to enter that sacred place. After all, if a mistake was made, he might drop dead in God’s holy presence. In that case, he’d be dragged out by a rope tied to his ankle (since no one else could enter).
The final Great High Priest, Jesus, ran ahead of you into the invisible, real Holy of Holies. Since no human could enter that place, and live to tell about it, it’s noteworthy that Jesus – a man – ran into the very presence of God. Jesus wants you to follow! So, follow Him!
Because Christ’s sacrifice made it possible for you to enter the Most Holy Place, you don’t need to fear death! In fact, Jesus wants you to live there in close relationship with God.
Jesus, the Great High Priest, restores HOPE, making it firm and secure. Run to this hope! Gratefully grab onto it – like grabbing onto the horns of the altar in the Most Holy Place – an Old Testament gesture showing a plea for mercy.
Altar is where you:
- Kneel in repentance.
- Confess sins.
- Agree you need Jesus.
- Die to self.
- Surrender your life to God.
- Trust and obey Him in all issues.
- Give your love to God.
- And . . . when you get back up, rise up as a living stone! *
* If you’ve not heard about the term, “living stone” before, in just a moment, we’ll share a Scripture that helps explain it.
High Priest Scriptures
- “Therefore, since we have a Great High Priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess.” (Heb. 4:14)
- ” . . . our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. He has become a High Priest forever . . .” (Heb. 6:20)
- “You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ . . . But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light.” (1 Pet. 2:5 & 9)
2. Fun Activity
Set I made when my kids were small. They loved using it.
Cut a large, light color flannel fabric into a heart – a symbol of God’s great love. Then cut the following pieces from colored flannel. Tell the Easter story with this set. Incidentally, you can use a couch back for the flannel pieces.
- 2 crosses of one color, 1 cross a different color.
- Spring flower, a little chick, a bunny, a few colored egg shapes – representing “new life” Jesus gives.
- Black tomb rock shape with a door cut to be taken away or put back into place.
- Large nail or spike.
- Numbers 1, 2, 3 for 3 days in the tomb.
- A man representing Jesus.
- Thorny crown for the head of “flannel Jesus.”
- Majestic gold/yellow crown to replace crown of thorns after resurrection.
- Cloud that shows Jesus ascending into Heaven.
Alternate options if you aren’t able to make this flannel set –
- Draw/sketch or paint a meaningful picture.
- Write about each flannel piece in your journal/device.
- Use modeling clay or play-do to create your own Easter scene.
- Meet a friend for coffee (or call) and reflect on the meaning of each piece.
Tell the Easter story again on Good Friday to your family/group/friend/roommate.
3. Teaching Point
The teaching point of this story is incredible HOPE – only possible through your High Priest.
No other story so strongly reinforces hope. Since God’s love and strategy unfolds in the Easter story, respond with JOY to your High Priest. Embrace every way your High Priest enriches your life. Just open your heart and take it in by faith. After all, you belong to God now. Embrace new hope and joy this week.
Visit our website for devotional materials, articles, podcasts, and resources to help grow your faith in God.
In order to receive weekly encouragement in your inbox, Sign up on our email list.