Have you had the joy of watching little kids when they get in front of a mirror? They have heart-warming and sometimes hilarious interactions. These little ones have such authenticity and vulnerability as they interact with “themselves” in the mirror. What about you? When you look in the mirror, who do you see? Do you value the reflection of that person? Are you authentically being “you” each day? It’s time to treasure your valuable life like God does.
Surely you’ve wondered at least once – “what’s the deal with God’s timing?!” He seems to be on a completely different time schedule. Admit it with me: there are times you’ve wondered when God is going to answer your prayers. Whether it’s personal or global tragedies that happen without warning, waiting years for God’s intervention in a difficulty, healing a relationship, providing for a need, or personal matters of the heart – all certainly involve God’s timing.
As we go into today’s content . . . Learn Well – Live Well – Love Well . . . I first want to read off a list of one-liners we’ve heard over the years. They deal with the hum-drum of life:
- Same old – same old
- Been there – done that (bought the T-shirt)
- Nothing new under the sun
- Do it again – and again
- Hummin’ right along
- Another day – another dollar
- Tomorrow never comes
- Don’t hold your breath
- Can’t trust anyone
- Pie-crust promises
- Where’s the beef? (that was a commercial)
- Never thought I’d see the day
- It ain’t gonna happen
- In your wildest dreams
And on go the one-liners we’ve heard in a variety of ways. All seem to speak to an emptiness, dullness, boring repetition, and rather skeptical view of life.
But life is NOT hum-drum! Therefore, let’s explore a full, exciting, fresh-every-day, and rather hopeful view of life. Will you join me?
In graduate school, I had a stark realization as first semester syllabuses were handed out in class. It reminded me of a similar eye-opener in college-level classes after high school – but this was definitely a step up. As I began to digest graduate school expectations, I noticed a panicky feeling inside. There would be no reminders, no pace set for us, no little “clues.” Set your own reminders, pace, and “get a clue!” The level of expectation was much higher. There was no option except to tear into it, and hope for the best!
Pause with me and ponder stories of people who have overcome circumstances. History is filled with these heroes.
- A man in prison named Dietrich overcomes risky circumstances as he does what he believes pleases God. Mr. Bonhoeffer overcomes by penning invaluable resources. One of his best known is The Cost Of Discipleship. Also Letters and Papers From Prison. Fascinating works of character and insight. Finally, he overcomes the circumstance of being hanged and dies with dignity.
- A woman overcomes her disappointment over a life she’d rather have had. She addresses continually – difficult circumstances for decades as she wields her authority to bring about strategic solutions and peace. Her incredible character makes Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth one of the world’s greatest leaders.
- An actor overcomes the odds – and wins to preside over a country, and then over a devastating war of aggression. With circumstances beyond imagining, in the face of grave danger, President Zelensky applies creative strategy and fresh thinking to preserve his country’s freedom. Volodymyr has won respect of world leaders and citizens everywhere.
- Medical students overcome the strain and sleeplessness of grueling requirements – only to graduate to residency with even more pressures – unknown to the patients they care for. With strategies and discipline, these trainees becomes physicians – to train others and help the sick, suffering, and dying.
- A mother overcomes circumstances of losing her child to leukemia.
- Children overcome circumstances of poverty and lack of opportunities. Some become leaders in government and business.
- After a spouse dies – or perhaps walks away, the remaining partner overcomes circumstances to support and raise the family, launch children into a level of success, and find a new purpose.
I’m guessing you’ve had at least one time in your life when you felt your relationship with God was good. Maybe not. But for myself, I’ve had several seasons where lots of things shifted, like seasons of the year. Truly, all relationships keep changing. So, it’s reasonable to expect your relationship with God to shift. Is that normal? Good or bad? This content explores how to stay healthy when your relationship with God shifts in a complicated world.
How about you? At some point this year, you will become another year older. So – Happy Birthday!
Although you and I don’t have control over the inevitable aging process – we can make some good decisions.
Wouldn’t it be great if you could put everything you’re aiming for on one page! To have a tool that is short, concise, and condensed to help live each day successfully. Instantly accessible. Something to carry on your device wherever you go, or to print and keep a visible copy at your desk. How about a 1-page goals sheet to help you aim for your best!
I’m delighted to tell you – this tool exists. And it works. I have been using a 1-Page Goals Sheet for decades, and it’s helped me focus and grow. Now I’d like to share this tool with you.